How Do I Set Up a Class with General Permission Numbers?
Note: Your screen may look different from the screenshots in this article.
General permission Numbers are only used for classes that do not require department or instructor consent to register when the waitlist is open. General Permission Numbers are only used after the waitlist has closed (days 6-10 of registration).
To use a General Permission Number, the instructor or department scheduler distributes the class number and a unique permission number to each student who would like to add their class. Students then search for the class in my.SDSU using the class number and enroll using the permission number.
Note that General Permission Numbers are not required days 1-5 of registration, when waitlists are still open.
Classes that are not configured with Student Specific Permissions will be automatically configured with General Permission Numbers on day 6 of registration. However, department schedulers can also configure classes to allow General Permission Numbers in my.SDSU. This guide is for department schedulers and reviews the process of configuring a class with General Permission Numbers in my.SDSU.
Note: Information about class permissions is available on the Office of the Registrar website.
The department scheduler or the class instructor will need to distribute the class number and a unique permission number after the class is configured with general permission numbers.
Please share the faculty general permission numbers guide with faculty members if they have any questions.
- On the my.SDSU Homepage, select the navigator icon on the top right of the page. Then navigate to Menu > Records and Enrollment > Term Processing > Class Permissions > Class Permissions.
- On the Class Permissions page, enter the course information in the Search Criteria text boxes. You can use the magnifying glass icon next to a field to find the desired value or type directly in the text boxes.
Search for a specific course by entering the Catalog Number or Course ID, or search for all courses in a specific Term or Subject Area by filling in the desired fields. When you have finished, select Search.
- A list of Search Results will appear below the Search button. Select the class for which you would like to add General Permission Numbers.
- You will be directed to the Permission to Add tab on the Class Permissions page. In the text box next to Assign More Permissions, enter the number of permission numbers you would like to add and select Generate.
- The permission numbers will appear below the Generate button under the Number column.
- The department scheduler or the class instructor will need to distribute the Course ID and a unique permission number to students who would like to take the class. The Course ID is located on the top right of the Permission to Add tab.
- Once you have given a student the Course ID and a unique permission number, check the box in the Issued column and select Save.
Note: Each permission number can only be used by one student. Do not give the same permission number to multiple students or they will not all be able to register for the class.
- The Issued By, Issue Date, and Status columns will populate for each Issued permission number. Once a student uses a permission number to register for the class, the ID, Name, and Permission Use Date columns will populate with the student’s information.