How Do I Set Up a Class with Student Specific Permissions?
Note: Your screen may look different from the screenshots in this article.
Students must obtain Student Specific Permission to register for a course that requires department or instructor consent.
Student Specific Permissions are used during the entire registration period for classes that require permission to register, which may include independent study, directed study thesis, internships, etc. Student Specific Permission can be assigned before the registration period begins and can be used by a student once their registration window opens through the Schedule Adjustment deadline.
Student Specific Permissions require that a faculty or a department representative add the student's ID directly to the list of allowed students in the course. No permission codes will be generated or distributed.
Department schedulers must configure classes to allow student specific permissions in my.SDSU. This guide is for department schedulers and reviews the process of configuring a class with student specific permissions.
Note: Information about class permissions is available on the Office of the Registrar website.
The department scheduler or the class instructor will need to add students to the class after the class is configured with student specific permissions.
Please share the faculty student specific permissions guide with faculty members if they have any questions.
- On the my.SDSU Homepage, select the navigator icon on the top right of the page. Then navigate to Menu > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Scheduled Classes.
Note: If you do not see the option to Maintain Scheduled Classes in my.SDSU, please submit a Request Access form.
- On the Maintain Schedule of Classes page, enter the course information in the Search Criteria text boxes. You can use the magnifying glass icon next to a field to find the desired value or type directly in the textboxes.
Search for a specific course by entering the Catalog Number or Course ID or search for all courses in a specific Term or Subject Area by filling in the desired fields. When you have finished, select Search.
- A list of Search Results will appear below the Search button. Select the class for which you would like to add student specific permissions.
- On the next page under the Basic Data tab, check the box next to Student Specific Permissions and select Save.
- You will now be able to add students to the class. However, for faculty to add students to the class, the department scheduler must set the maximum number of students who can enroll in the class using student specific permissions.
- To modify or verify the maximum number of student specific permissions for the class, select the navigator icon on the top right of the page. Then navigate to Menu > Records and Enrollment > Term Processing > Class Permissions > Class Permissions.
- Under the Permission to Add tab, input the desired number next to Max Student Permissions. Then select Save.
Note: Faculty will not be able to add students to the class using student specific permissions if the Max Student Permissions field is left blank.